A Travellerspoint blog


Breakfast was early and then the rounding up and moving out of the passengers to the dock began. The whole process lasted about an hour.
Once we had our bags, we grabbed a taxi to take us to our hotel. Too early to check in, we left our bags there and caught another "Hop On Hop Off" tour of the city. This one took us out to the zoo, past the Carlsberg brewery, and to the "Free Town of Christiana", a place that has been inhabited by hippies (yes, think back to the 60's and 70's...hippies) for a few decades. They are mostly artisans, it seems. The entire area is colored with graffiti and scattered with junk. No photographs are allowed, so we've nothing to show for our little walk.

Once we arrived back to the bus stop on "hop on", Susie noticed that the bus brochure said that after September 1, the busses run only every hour and a half or so. We didn't want to stand on the sidewalk for that long, so we started walking. Fortunately, a taxi came by so we got a ride back to the hotel. Before checking in, we walked a block or two up to the nearest canal. Dozens of restaurants lined the waterway, overlooking dozens of sailing ships tied to the quays.

We had a nice lunch. It was different to eat somewhere other than in the dining room of a ship...and we had to pay for the meal when we were finished!
The hotel was ready to check us in once we returned. The elevator is a hoot—it is just big enough for one person and a suitcase. The accommodation consists of two rooms, one with a couch/hide a bed and the other with a double bed. So the three of us can share.
John volunteered to take the dirty laundryto a laundromat (the hotel was supposed to have laundry service, but when we arrived we were told, "not on weekends.") So all the dirty laundry was put in John's suitcase and he headed off for an adventure.

It was interesting. First, there was the five block walk to the west to get money from an ATM. Then it was a 12 block walk in the other direction to the laudromat. After asking a few people for directions, I found it. And I found that I didn't have the correct change. John and the big suitcase trotted back down the street to a "take away" food place, where the cook was kind enough to provide some coins.

Back up to the laundromat, where assistance from a nice lady doing her laundry was in order. Unfortunately, she left before it was time to put clothes in the dryers. A friendly young man showed me how to use the centrifuges, large tubs that super-spin dry the wet laundry. You need to do that, another woman told me, because the tumblers (dryers to us) are expensive...to the tune of one dollar for 3 minutes. Many several minutes (and many more dollars) and the laundry was done, folded, wheeled back to the hotel, and packed away.

It was an early dinner in the hotel tonight because we have a morning flight to Hamburg, Germany.

Posted by jeburns55 10:38 Archived in Denmark

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint